She couldn't sleep. She was anxious and excited all at once. When she did sleep, it was filled with fitful dreams of school - things left behind, buses missed. When she woke and thought that it surely was time to get up she couldn't believe that it was only 4:00 a.m. The kindergartener, you ask? No, just the mother. The kindergartener slept like a rock and was hard to rouse at 6:15 a.m. this morning. That's right, we had to get up in the 6's because the bus comes at 6:50 a.m.! It's brutal and I'm sure I'll be cursing this school business not far into September, but today it was pretty exciting. She looked very cute, though a little like a flight attendant, in her uniform (public school). We have full-day kindergarten in Charlotte so she's gone from 7:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. I was worried about how she'd do but that was totally unneccessary. Siena had no trepidation and ran into school without looking back. If she had, she would've seen her crazy-tired mother choking back some sentimental tears.



Talia was not happy about being left behind. She decided, as a protest, to wear her shoes on her hands all day.

Not really, but she does like to take them off in the car and use them as a microphone while she sings. She missed her sister terribly and was glued to her side when she got home this afternoon.
Siena had a great day. When I asked what her favorite part of the day was she said "going to the school library." Her least favorite part was when the bus didn't show up this morning (mine too). We've had some flooding here, causing a lot of traffic jams, so the bus actually did come but not until a half hour after it was supposed to (we gave up and drove her to school). She is very excited to go back next week. I enjoyed playing June Cleaver and had milk and cookies waiting for her when she got home.

True confession: I actually made the cookies so I could give some to her bus driver. I know, I'm a suck-up, but a girl's gotta look out for her peeps.
11 comments:
Wow, that is a very early start, but nice that she's home by 2-ish.
I didn't sleep much at all the night before school started this year, either. I liked the way you told that -- very clever.
I love that you baked cookies! They look fab...is that ground almond flour that I detect?
Congratulations on kindergarten. So exciting!
Our girls are now officially Kindergartners...CRAZY! Kaiyah too is enjoying school but after being there for a little over 5 hours, she comes home quite exhausted.
Laney, like Talia, is trying to cope without big sis' around. It is kind of warming though to see them embrace each day after school and notice how much they miss each other.
so cute! she looks adorable. they are soooo much more ready than we are aren't they?? sarah was by my side while britten boarded the bus and she kept yelling, "bye! i'll miss you!! i love your guts!" it was so cute!! i can't believe she has all day school. and 6 am wake up call - that reminds me of ricks... the bus picks up britten at 8:55! my kind of kinder...
also, i totally want the cookie recipe and are you making afgans again??
Karen, love the pictures and love that you did the June Cleaver thing. I bet she LOVED it all. You are such a good mom. Can't you live in Utah so I can take lessons?????
I love the clothes, especially her jacket. Why don't they make cute clothes for adults??? Perhaps uniforms come in my size....
It sounds like your first day was great. You're inspiring me. Now I'm thinking about cookies for Tuesday.
Nothing like a little brown-nosing! What ever works! I have decided that you can never go on another blogging hiatis again. It takes me forever to get through all your catching up! I'm glad you had a great reunion in Berkely, your girls are forever adorable, your poor face (Ouch!), & I am glad you are home!
You made ME cry. What a sweet post.
You are hilarious, Karen! Thanks goodness for 1st children with intrepid spirits. That was my 1st too! My 2nd cried for 6 weeks when she started kindergarten. Good luck with that ;) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you made her cookies on her first day. Lucky girlie! How do you feel about me stealing that family tradition?
where have you been lady?
Post a Comment