
Siena has become quite a little fish since May when she started lessons. She wouldn't put her head under the water at the beginning of the summer and now she has perfected the under water handstand, floating on her front and back, diving for toys, and has started doing the front stroke. I love seeing how fearless she has become. I have to drag her out of the water when its time to leave. Talia loves the pool too. She thinks she's a big kid and has jumped in the deep end when I wasn't watching a couple of times (that girl was born fearless). She wears her arm floaties and cruises around the pool. She also loves hanging out in the spray park area of the pool and isn't ever fazed by the gallons of water that are being dumped on her little head. She is very entertaining to watch.
We've filled the rest of our summer with fun trips to the Discovery Place, the North Carolina Zoo, hiking (when it's cool enough) and parks with friends.

One sad thing however, we had to say goodbye to our little white Civic the end of July. We were in a car accident and it was totalled. No one was seriously hurt. The airbags deployed and gave me a good shiner. This picture was taken before the black and blueness really set in.
Luckily the kids weren't in the car with us when it happened. I'm still pretty sentimental about Lily White (named by my brothers back in '98 when we got it). We had a lot of good memories in that car (bringing home both girls from the hospital, fun road trips, etc.) After a late night negotiating with the car salesman (I had to do most of it because Mike had a big deadline. My jaw still hasn't completely relaxed) we purchased a Toyota Camry. Siena named it Blue Jay. It's nice to have a bigger car with all its new fangled technology that we didn't have in the civic (power windows and locks).
I can't believe we've been in Charlotte a whole year. It was a hard transition, leaving Berkeley, but it finally has started to feel like home here. I've come to appreciate the beauty of the South, the blessing of new friends, and feeling a part of a place that was so foreign a year ago. I've even started to adjust to the heat - who would've thought it possible?!

3 comments:
Looks like a great vacation over all. So sorry about the car! It won't be the same to think of you without it. (But I'm glad you posted a picture of the shiner--wowee!)
I love reading about all your escapades. It does make me sad that Sienna and Emma do not live closer. i think they are birds of a feather. Hopefully we will get down sometime this fall.
ouch!! i am so glad you were not hurt in your accident!! we have enjoyed the pool all summer too. there is one in our neighborhood! we go daily when we can. britten was the same way this summer. he would not even put his face under water and now he is swimming like crazy!! we went to a pool in montana with a diving board and he was the first one to want to jump off it! i couldn't believe it! call me when you come back out this way so we can get together!
Post a Comment