Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More Pics of Tree Hugging, Dirt Worhipping Duncans

My family often went hiking while I was growing up (and still does - my 65 year old dad and brothers hiked 16 miles last weekend!) which earned us the nickname "Swiss Family Larsens" from my high school friends. Last weekend we continued the tradition with a short hike in McDowell State Park. It was border line hot in the city (80 degrees - I'm still a NorCal girl at heart so that's hot to me) and we drove to the woods to cool off in the shade. The highlights of the hike were the abundant caterpillars and toads. Siena and Mike were sure to move any caterpillar they saw off the trail (for its own protection, of course). The toads were well camouflaged and would surprise us as they hopped out of our way in front of us. Talia liked stomping on the dry leaves around the toads to get them to hop even more. The hike was beautiful. Everything is breathtakingly green right now.

Toward the end of the hike Mike decided that Talia needed even more cooling off (and he likes to get a reaction out of her) so he poured some water over her head. She kept coming back for more and took matters into her own hands and used the rest of the water bottle to drench herself, which entertained the rest of us immensely. She didn't seem to mind riding home completely soaked (thank goodness).


We got home just before a huge thunder and lightning storm broke out. Crazy southern weather.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Such great pictures of Talia getting herself wet. How funny. Kids seriously crack me up. I love that you love hiking. It always reminds me of when you asked us all if we wanted to go on a hike on the hellish ride home from lake powell our jr. trip.

loven it! said...

so, it is 5:43 in the morning and i am here because i can't sleep and have heart burn and am blog hopping. click on your blog and see the recepie that is always calling my name, you know the mexican chocolate cake! torture to the pregnant lady. i think i will have to make it tomorrow. fun pictures! now is the time to go hiking before it gets tooooooo hot! your girls are so cute. it is fun to see your personality in them.

Scott Rex said...

I was really happy that you sent out the blog notification to remind those of us learning the blogging culture to check these blogs. It sounds like you guys had fun on your hike and I am jealous that it was 80 degrees.

Unknown said...

Don't I have the cutest granddaughters (Oops! Don't you have the cutest daughters.) I can tell Talia has inherited the water-fighting gene! All the pictures are great, but I especially love the one with Siena and the caterpillar. Hugs and kisses to you all. Mom

Jennette said...

Excellent! Looks like a great time. I love hiking weather.