Monday, May 19, 2008

Amusing things about Charlotte . . .

Here are some things about the Queen City that I've found amusing lately . . .
There are A LOT of parochial schools in Charlotte. Of course these schools need mascots and I guess not everyone can be the saints, padres, etc. but I found this one kind of funny considering the name of the school (sticker on some random person's car). Crazy I know, but bulldogs and the Holy Trinity don't really go together in my mind.

My favorite hood in Charlotte is called Plaza-Midwood. It reminds me a lot of Berkeley with it's eclectic shops, down-to-earth citizens, and funky restaurants. One of my favorites is an edgy consignment shop called

(Think Rocky and Bullwinkle)

It's still got it's religious element too. Right around the corner from Boris and Natasha is a beauty salon whose name cracks me up.

6 comments:

Maile said...

I love the "God's Gifted Hands Hair Salon"! Out of curiosity, I had to go look up Psalm 27 to see why they chose that particular one. Maybe verse 6 - "Then my head will be exalted"... I must admit, that sounds compelling.

Mindi said...

We had Doberman pinschers while I was growing up that were named Boris & Natasha.

loven it! said...

i'm glad it's not called SATIN Hands hair salon!

Turia said...

ha, ha Leigh!!! (comment above)

Tennessee was the same way.. I could have written a book on all the funny christian oriented things I saw there.

jenlinmin said...

You gotta love the South! In Austin we had "God's Anointed Hairdresser." My elementary school was the "Helen Keller Cobras"

briggsy said...

I find it interesting that no matter where we live in life, it is a place for our individual personalities. I'm glad that as different as Charlotte is from Berkeley, it is the right place for you! I love the hair salon!