Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mama's Little Helper

This morning as we rushed to get everyone out the door (when are we not rushing to get out the door?) Talia decided to help out by emptying the dishwasher while I wasn't looking. I love the "helper" stage even though it's definitely a mixed blessing at times.
Watching her reminded me of a funny story from when Siena was about the same age. I had just come home from grocery shopping and was deep in conversation with Mike as we put away the groceries. Siena pulled things out of the bags and said "helping, helping" as she handed them to us. We were shocked out of our conversation when she handed me an egg carton that was half full (eek!). The other six were in the bottom of a grocery bag (only 3 broke). We couldn't get upset and just laughed it off as we cleaned it up. It also reminds me of the story about my little brother (Scott) dumping eggshells into a huge batch of bread my mom was making. She ended up baking it anyway (we're still not sure if she knew about the eggshells before or after the bread came out of the oven) and we had to eat very crunchy bread for a few weeks!

2 comments:

briggsy said...

Karen, you make me realize I need to pull out my camera & just leave it out. You capture all the things in life that I just hope I don't forget. You have great kids!

Mindi said...

Yeah, I'm fine when Juniper wants to help take CLEAN dishes out of the dishwasher, but it's when I'm trying to load DIRTY dishes in to the dishwasher and she wants to remove them that I get annoyed. She just doesn't understand dirty, hence, the way she eats - utensils? what utensils?